Athletes and cardiac arrest


Former U of A Wildcat Sean Rooks died of a heart attack, as have several former NBA big men over the last couple years. There's growing interest as to why former NBA players are suffering cardiac events, but I see it as an issue with many layers. Former Oakland Athletic Tony Phillips died suddenly of a heart attack a few months ago. The drummer from Megadeath recently died of a heart attack while performing. My opinion is that the American diet, reckless use of drugs and alcohol, stress, and heredity, among other things, are to blame. Although, in the case of 7-foot men running like gazelles in the open court game after game, one has to wonder if the human body of that size just isn't cut out for that much stress. Makes me reminisce about all the basketball my friends and I used to play, pounding our knees, feet and ankles, and probably our hearts as well. Inevitably, seeing these supreme athletes die, people who had the best medical care in the world available to them, reaffirms to me how lucky I am.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-nba-seeks-to-address-a-spiking-problem-with-heart-disease/

Jesse A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Fayuquero

Fieldwork Exercise - Sanctuary in the Desert

Christmas Across the Border